At Cloughwood Academy we encourage our students to understand how to learn in and through Physical Education and develop key skills that prepare them for being active, independent and responsible learners, who take part in physical activity regularly and understand the benefits of leading an active and healthy lifestyle. In order to encourage our pupils to become actively involved independent learners, we have a wide and varied Programme of Study which enables them to enjoy and achieve across a number of activities and sports throughout Key Stages 3 & 4.
Core PE is taught throughout secondary at Cloughwood Academy, students are given opportunities to produce complete pieces of work involving the following key processes of:
- Making and applying decisions
- Developing their competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- Developing mental and physical capacity
- Evaluating and improving performance
- Making informed choices about healthy, active lifestyles
The PE programme of study builds on the knowledge, skills and understanding students acquire in primary. These include teamwork, reflection of own performance and basic skills such as; movement, hand eye coordination and striking/catching. During secondary, students become increasingly physically and mentally competent by:
- Improving their ability to use tactics and strategies to overcome opponents in direct competition through team and individual games
- Developing their technique and improve their performance in other competitive sports
- Taking part in Outdoor Adventurous Activities which present intellectual and physical challenges
- Analyse performances compared to previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best
Through the range of activities and variety of roles that pupils experience, they begin to make informed choices about their own commitment to leading a healthy, active life. They begin to identify the types of activities and roles they prefer and are best suited to. They become more regularly involved in physical activity, in both lessons and extra-curricular provision provided during enrichment and after school sessions. The experiences and skills learnt within PE can lead onto careers such as; sports coaching, fitness instructor and personal trainer.
Pupils gain experience in a wide range of sports to widen their horizons, develop additional skills and discover new interests.
Please find below a link to the 2021-22 timetable:
Teachers and pupils in the PE Department are continuously involved in assessment through appreciation, interpretation, analysis, judgement and evaluation of performance and understanding. These judgements will be used to inform on-going teaching and learning.
The basis for assessment in PE is the ‘Assessment for Learning’ model. Both staff and pupils are fully involved in the process. It has been implemented to help motivate pupils, to encourage pupils to take more responsibility for their own learning and actively involve pupils in setting their own individual targets.