At Cloughwood Academy we believe that learning a foreign language provides a valuable educational, social and cultural experience for our pupils and we are keen to promote this experience within our timetable.
In lessons pupils develop communication and literacy skills that lay the foundation for future language learning and experience. They develop linguistic competence, extend their knowledge and understanding of how language works and explore similarities and differences between French and English. We believe learning another language enriches pupil awareness of the world being a bigger place that is multi-linguistic and multicultural and introduces them international dimensions giving an insight into their own culture and that of others.
Aims and Objectives
At Cloughwood Academy, by teaching French we seek to:
- Develop an appreciation of the variety of languages and the place of English amongst them
- Create a climate of learning in which children develop an enthusiasm for language learning
- Develop listening and speaking skills
- Develop a curiosity of other countries and cultures where other languages are spoken
- Introduce students to other languages in a way that is fun and enjoyable
- Stimulate children’s interest and curiosity in other languages
- Recognise that although languages differ they may share common grammatical, syntactical or lexical features.
Cloughwood Academy does not currently offer any language qualifications at Key Stage 4.