What is Independent Travel Training?

Independent Travel Training (ITT) helps young people with special educational needs learn how to travel to school or college by public transport. 


Who can have travel training?

Travel training is available to anyone who is eligible for travel assistance. This may include children and young people with special educational needs and/or disability with an Education, Health and Care plan.


Who can apply?

Independent Travel Training is available to young people with special educational needs and/or a disability who are eligible for travel assistance in accordance with Cheshire West and Chester Council’s Home to Educational Establishment Transport Policy, which can be found here.


How to apply

Referrals for ITT can be made by: students, parents/carers, SEND officers, social workers or school/college staff.

You can apply via the online student referral questionnaire which can be found here.


Further information

Should you want to know more about the ITT programme, please refer to the Cheshire West and Chester leaflet here or contact:

Barbara Crane – School Travel Assistance Manager

Cheshire West and Chester Council
Email: SchoolPlanningandPolicy@cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk
Telephone: 0300 123 7039