In art at Cloughwood Academy, we know we can make a significant difference in the lives of our learners. We are striving to provide a broad range of stimulating projects and good quality teaching in art. Our projects and contextual links are current with developments in worldwide arts and delivered with the best resources we can provide.
The art curriculum encourages students to experience, experiment with and use colour, form, shape, texture and pattern. Students are encouraged to widen perspectives, raise expectations and are shown that through the success of other students’ artwork aspirations can be realised. The curriculum is specifically planned to allow for individual targets so that all students can fulfil their potential. The curriculum is also planned to address spiritual, moral, social and cultural development.
In key stage 3 the national curriculum for art and design aims to ensure that all pupils must:
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- know about great artists, craft makers and designers and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
In key stage 4 all pupils follow the AQA full course Fine Art GCSE.
In this course pupils must meet the 4 assessment objectives as equally as possible:
- AO1 developing
- AO2 experimenting
- AO3 recording
- AO4 presenting
The aims of the Art Department are also to;
- Provide an environment that enables every individual, regardless of ability, to develop their abilities and talents within Art.
- Widen perspectives, raise expectations and show through the success of other students’ art work that aspirations can be realised.
- Encourage students to learn to express feelings confidently and creatively.
- Provide students with opportunities to develop independent enquiry.
- Provide students with opportunities that stimulate creativity and imagination.
- Provide every student with visual, tactile and sensory experiences, such as meaningful and stimulating display and still life objects.
- Support each student in learning to effectively experiment and appropriately use the formal elements of art.
- Demonstrate an ambitious vision for the school by displaying high quality work all around the school.